This area has some of the best riding to be found in North America and the unpaved roads won't disappoint. The rides will be guided and gas will be available at ~100 miles. We will be riding on public roads, paved, dirt and gravel so bikes must be licensed and insured. Big bikes like the V-Stoms and GSs will be fine. We will eat lunch along the way, especially if we find some good ice cream.
In addition to requiring the use of a DOT approved helmet on all MTF rides, the MTF strongly encourages the use of motorcycle specific protective clothing and footwear while participating in any Rough Road event. ATGATT greatly reduces the severity of injuries in an accident and we want every participant in our events to be as safe as possible. The MTF strongly encourages each participant in our events to self assess their riding style, interests, need for breaks and riding skill level and to keep that assessment in mind when riding these gravel mountain roads. Keeping within your limits not only makes the ride more enjoyable for you, but safer for everyone.
Event Schedule & Information
The ride is scheduled September 21st - 23rd with nightly gatherings for meals at the lodge.
- September 21st - 1:00PM - Arrive early. 1/2 day ride Rough Road Ride
- September 22nd and 23rd - 9:30AM - Full day Rough Road Riding
- September 24th - Founders Feast
Event Notes of Interest:
- Breakfast and Dinner will be served at Ironhorse Lodge for those interested (Also available to those not staying at the lodge)
- Lunch will be at designated areas for riders to meet and eat lunch together.
- Campfire at nights, firewood furnished
- If we have a rain day... Ironhorse will do lunch... we will have movies on the large screen....
- This is a dry county, meaning adult beverages are not sold in Graham County....so prepare in advance.
- The registration link on this page is for the Rough Road Ride and does not include the Founders Feast. The Founders Feast is a separate event and details can be found on the event page HERE
These routes are in Garmin Mapsource gdb and gpx format. Right click on the one you want and save the file to your computer.
Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge
We are offering an event for any budget or type of accommodations, from tent camping to cabin rentals, bring your RV, or sleep in a bunkhouse for a snoring contest. Your choice... your event.
NOTE: You MUST register first with MTF, you will then receive an email with a personal code,
then call or email Ironhorse with your personal code to make your reservations.
After you register on RideMaster for the Ironhorse event, Don Norwood will email you a special code and additional information about the Ironhrose lodge. Sorry for the extra hassle, but the Ironhorse is a motorcycle only resort and campground, therefore everybody that calls is a motorcyclist. We have a block on the limited rooms, cabins and RV spaces and in order for MTF to use this block we must control the reservations.
Check Ironhorse's website for all the details, GPS location and accommodations.
Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge
1755 Lower Stecoah Road
Stecoah, NC 28771
When we fill Ironhorse, we will offer other nearby hotel options.