An MTF Tribute to our friend
Kelly (Kman) Wier
Kelly S. Wier
x/xx-?? ~ 5/28/2013
Kelly became an
MTF Gold Member in February 2010
Click here to read the announcement
Kelly Swift Wier
Kelly Swift Wier, 63, of San Diego passed away suddenly. Kelly was born in Phoenix, AZ and moved to San Diego, CA where he worked for S.D. County and Caltrans, Land Surveying. Recently retired, Kelly loved to tour on his motorcycle. Kelly did extensive traveling throughout Asia, South America and only lacked riding through and visiting 4 states in the US. He was currently getting certified with Time Warner for TV producing. He enjoyed playing musical instruments, singing, acting and continuing his education. He is survived by his brothers Robin, Michael, Anthony, girlfriend Vicki Thon, several nieces, nephews and cousins. He was preceded in death by his parents Dorothy and Daniel Wier.
Published in The Arizona Republic on June 7, 2013
Fashion Statement: Hawaiian shirts...at a moment's notice, I am ready to attend any event.
Kelly's Personal Quote: "63-but look and feel 62!"
Kelly had a "Personal Ad" as part of his
Delphi Profile that listed his love of travelling:
- Love singing/acting, last gigs with Lyric Opera San Diego, and Looking Glass Theater. Was "Curly" in "OKLAHOMA!". Comedies, musical theater, dramas, love being on the stage. Currently getting certified with Time Warner for TV producing,
- Love traveling:
- Hitched across the US '69 and '70 (I was a month too early in NY for Woodstock, so made my way down to Florida in July to watch the 1st moon rocket flight-Neil Armstrong take-off).
- Thumbed across New Zealand/Australia '82-'83 on a working holiday, North and South Islands (land surveying, construction work, and dishwashing), and from Tasmania (working on a scallop boat), to diving the Great Barrier Reef. And served breakfast to Prime Minister Frazier in Townsville, just before the '83 elections!
- Trips to: Canada-Vancouver Island to Newfoundland. Caribbean islands, Great Britain, Western Europe, Greece. Morocco/Algeria, Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador. Tahiti. Australia, New Zealand. China, North Vietnam. Guatemala.
- Been to all the states, except Alaska, North Dakota, Kentucky and West Virginia.
- 2007 rides:
- Death Vly ride Mar '07. Big Sur ride Apr '07. N'thern Cali ride May '07. Canada/Banff/Jasper/Yellowstone/Colorado ride Aug '07.
- Arizona/Jerome/Sedona/Rte66 ride Sept '07. Sequoia ride Oct '07. Lake Havasu ride Nov '07. Death Vly ride Nov '07.
- 2008 rides:
- Tombstone ride Jan '08. Big Sur ride Feb '08. Death Vly ride Feb '08. Lake Mead/Colorado river ride Mar '08. Utah/AZ ride Apr '08. N'thern
- Cali ride (Bigfoot country) May '08. Sierra's/Yosemite ride June '08. Big Bear family reunion ride Aug '08. Beartooth/Devils Tower/Black
- Hills/Rocky Mtns ride, Sept '08. Sierra's/Yosemite ride Oct '08. Big Bend TX/NM/AZ ride Nov '08.
- 2009 rides:
- Arizona ride Jan '09.
- Death Valley/Laughlin ride Feb '09.
- Big Sur/San Francisco/Napa Vly ride Mar '09.
- Tecopa Hot Springs ride Apr '09.
- Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon ride Apr '09.
- Utah/CO/AZ ride May '09.
- Big Bear Reunion ride Aug '09.
- ID/MT/Canada/WA/OR ride Sept '09.
- San Francisco trip,Woodstock 40yr reunion of bands(backstage crew)-Oct '09.
- Death Valley ride, Oct '09.
- AZ ride-White mtns/Payson/Sedona-Nov '09.
- Mayan ruins/Chiapas jungle, Yucatan to Oaxaca trip, Nov '09.
- Big Sur/Pinnacles NP ride, Dec '09.
- Hoover Dam Loop ride, Dec '09.
- 2010 rides:
- Quartzsite rock show/Bouse, Salton Sea loop, AZ ride, Jan '10.
- Organ Pipe Cactus Nat Mon, Kitt Peak, Oatman, AZ ride, Feb '10.
- Mojave desert backroads/Colorado River ride, Mar. '10.
- Boulder Dam kayaking ride, Apr '10.
- Eastern Sierras/Nevada(area51)ride, May '10.
- Lake Powell/Colorado River rafting ride, June '10.
- Big Sur ride, July '10.
- Colorado/Rocky Mountains ride, Aug '10.
- N'thern Cali,coast+Sierras ride, Sept '10.
- Mitchell Caverns/Colorado river ride, Oct '10.
- 2011 Rides:
- Retired Jan, 2011. Now, I DON'T have as much vacation time!
- Lake Mead/Boulder Dam ride, Apr '11.
- Nevada/Utah (some old mining towns) ride, Apr '11.
- Jerome/Sedona/rte66, AZ ride, June '11.
- Sierras ride, see the snow in July '11.
- Mexico, Gulf of California ride, Oct '11.
- Mohave desert/Laughlin casinos ride, Oct '11.
- Big Sur ride, Dec/Jan '11/'12.
- 2012 rides:
- Man, I need to get out more.
- Mojave desert/Laughlin ride, May '12.
- Nevada (solar eclipse), Idaho, Oregon ride, May '12.
- Grand Canyon ride, June '12.
- MTF Colorado ride, Aug '12.
- Sedona AZ ride, Sept '12.
- Guatemala trip Nov '12.
- MTF Lake Havasu ride, Dec '12.
- 2013 Rides:
- AZ river ride, Dec/Jan Dec '12-Jan '13.
- San Ignatio Lagoon ride, Baja, Feb '13. petted the whales!
- Hill country Texas ride, +Roswell
A few select comments from Kelly's MTF
Note: there were so many comments there's no way we could capture them all here.
We invite you to read all of them on the forum in the following threads on the forum: